Baby Dry Skin Care
Dry skin when babies are born, their delicate skin does not hold moisture for long and tends to dry out very easily.
Here are some home remedies for dry baby skin:
• If you are breastfeeding, you can put some of your own breast milk on baby’s dry skin as a moisturizer. Breast milk is a natural antibacterial and has moisturizing properties in it.
• If your baby is formula fed you should give him extra water to drink for extra skin hydration. Babies that are breastfed do not need extra water, as the breast milk contains everything they need.
• Get a humidifier, which will make the air more skin friendly for baby.
• Baby oil dry skin ~ organic olive oil and baby oil can be applied to dry patches of skin or used as an overall moisturizer.
• Petroleum jelly can be applied to baby’s whole body including dry areas on the face. Petroleum jelly is great for locking in the skins moisture.
• Oatmeal can be added to the bath water as a moisturizer.
• Do not soak baby in the water too long as this can remove more oil from his skin
• Use cooler water when bathing baby, hot water can cause dry skin
• Always use a natural soap that is made for a baby’s gentle skin.
• Use a good natural moisturizer and apply this to baby’s body and face after every bath.
• Avoid chlorinated swimming pools and always give baby a rinse down and moisturize him after a swim.
• Keep your baby’s skin and face closed while out in the cold winter air.
• Buy cotton clothing instead of harsh fabrics like wool, polyester or rayon as cotton makes it easier for the skin to breathe.
• Change baby’s diapers as often as possible to avoid baby dry skin.
• Always rinse out baby’s clothing twice before drying it, to make sure that all the detergents are washed out.
• In the summer you should also try to keep baby out of the sun and apply a good sun screen when outside.